Привет, продолжаем учиться заимствовать красивые collocations у знаменитого Артура Конана Дойля и его новелл о Шерлоке Холмсе. Сегодняшний отрывок я взял из рассказа “The Second Stain”. Мы, как всегда, вначале читаем внимательно отрывок, особенно медленно и вдумчиво вчитываясь в выделенные словосочетания, которые затем мы будем пробовать использовать в наших собственных предложениях.
I HAD intended “The Adventure of the Abbey Grange” to be the last of those exploits of my friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, which I should ever communicate to the public. This resolution of mine was not due to any lack of material, since I have notes of many hundreds of cases to which I have never alluded, nor was it caused by any waning interest on the part of my readers in the singular personality and unique methods of this remarkable man. The real reason lay in the reluctance which Mr. Holmes has shown to the continued publication of his experiences. So long as he was in actual professional practice the records of his successes were of some practical value to him, but since he has definitely retired from London and betaken himself to study and bee-farming on the Sussex Downs, notoriety has become hateful to him, and he has peremptorily requested that his wishes in this matter should be strictly observed. It was only upon my representing to him that I had given a promise that “The Adventure of the Second Stain” should be published when the times were ripe, and pointing out to him that it is only appropriate that this long series of episodes should culminate in the most important international case which he has ever been called upon to handle, that I at last succeeded in obtaining his consent that a carefully guarded account of the incident should at last be laid before the public. If in telling the story I seem to be somewhat vague in certain details, the public will readily understand that there is an excellent reason for my reticence.
Теперь выносим выделенные словосочетания отдельным списком. Зеленым цветом отмечены те элементы фраз, которые проще всего изменить для соответствия теме нашего сочинения на английском.
1. communicate to the public
2. was it caused by any waning interest on the part of my readers
3. the singular personality and unique methods of this remarkable man
4. notoriety has become hateful to him
5. he has peremptorily requested that…
6. case which he has ever been called upon to handle
7. I at last succeeded in obtaining his consent
8. there is an excellent reason for my reticence
В этот раз зеленых “словечек” немного – все эти вышеприведенные фразы просятся к использованию целиком – настолько они самодостаточны и гармоничны.
Теперь переводим наши collocations, и сочиняем хотя бы по одному собственному предложению с ними – это поможет нам лучше запомнить красивые словосочетания.
1. communicate to the public – сообщать общественности; предавать огласке
The government was reluctant to communicate the latest grave news to the public.
2. was it caused by any waning interest on the part of my readers – это было вызвано уменьшением интереса со стороны читателей
A drop in sales of the book was caused by the waning interest on the part of his readers.
3. the singular personality and unique methods of this remarkable man – уникальная личность и методы (работы) этого выдающегося человека
4. notoriety has become hateful to him – известность стала ему чуждой
After years of distinguished success and lots of money, notoriety has become hateful to him, and he retired to the country.
5. he has peremptorily requested that… – он беспрекословно потребовал, чтобы…
The witness agreed to testify in the inquiry, peremptorily requesting that his identity remained anonimous.
6. case which he has ever been called upon to handle – случай, который ему когда-либо приходилось решать (разбирать)
The new manager daced the singular case in the company which he has ever been called upon to handle.
7. I at last succeeded in obtaining his consent – мне в конце концов удалось получить его согласие
Several times in a row I failed to see her out, but at last I succeeded in obtaining her consent to go out with me that night.
8. there is an excellent reason for my reticence – существует очень веская причина для моего молчания (немногословности)
He is a medical doctor, so there is an exvcellent reason for his reticence concerning the affairs of his patients.